Romaji and English translation of the song ザクロ型の憂鬱 (ZAKUROgata no yuuutsu) from the album DISORDER and the singles Dainippon itangeishateki noumiso nakadzuri zecchou zekkei ongenshuu and ZAKUROgata no yuuutsu by the GazettE.
- Lyrics originally sung in English are in italics , and words or phrases I felt were implied are in [brackets] in the translation.
- I also (usually) put repeats of chorus/verses/stanzas in [brackets] if they’re not written that way in the original lyrics for ease of singing along.
- If he writes a word in the lyrics but doesn’t sing it, I put it in light grey to make it easier to skip when singing along.
- I usually romajize katakana characters in CAPITALS, and keep punctuation and line spacing as close to the original booklet as possible. If you see me putting spaces before punctuation at the end of a sentence or writing things in mixed-case capitals, that’s because it’s how it was in the booklet.
- Any comments I had during the romajization/translation process will be included as footnotes so as not to disturb the flow of the song. They’re not required reading, but Ruki does some pretty nifty things with his lyrics/kanji choices, or sometimes there’s further explanations about words or phrases in there.
ZAKUROgata no yuuutsu: Romaji
Naite naite naki yandara egao no mama de iyou
Naite naite egao kuretara boku no soba ni zutto
Madobe kara sasu asahi ga itsumo to chigaku mieta
Ki ga omoi no wa saki ga mieta kara darou
Kabin ni yureru mimai no hana ga kareru koro wa
Kimi wo nokoshi subete wo sutete doko ka tooku he
Kimi wa itsumo hagemasu you ni fuzakete mite
Akaruku sagashi jibun no koto yori mo boku wo…
Tsurai desho? Konna sugata wo miteru no wa
Tsukareta to sunao ni ieba ii no ni
Kimi wa iyana kao hitotsu sezu tada yasashikute
Boku wo dakishimete naite kureta
Ikitai yo, shinitakunai omou tabi namida wa kobore
Ikitai yo, kimi no tame ni nanihitotsu shite ageretenai
Shibaraku nete shimatteta youda
Tonari ni wa kimi no kaori dake ga nokottete
Nandaka munasawagi ga shite nda
Fuan ga komiageru
Soshite hi wa tachi kaeri matsu boku ni todoita
Ichimai no MEMO wa kimi karade
Shirusa re teta jujitsu ni kotoba nakushi
Kowareta you ni nakisakenda
[Naite naite naki yandara egao no mama de iyou
Naite naite egao kuretara boku no soba ni zutto ]
Kattena koto shite
Tada anata wo tasukete agetakatta no
Anata no tame ni shineru no nara
Sore ga atashi no koufukuna no…
Boku no naka de kimi wa itsumo mimamotte kure teru nda ne
Me wo tojite kimi wo omoeba egao date wasurenai you ne
Korekara mo zutto onaji keshiki wo mimi tsudzukete ikite ikou
Madobe kara sasu asahi to kaze2 ni fukare nemurou
[Even if they won’t wake up]3
Moshimo futari ga mezamenakute mo3
Pomegranate-type4 Depression: Translation
You cry and cry; stop crying and smile at me
You cry and cry; just smile for me and stay by my side forever
The morning sun looked different than usual shining through the window
I guess I’m depressed because I saw what was coming
When those get-well flowers drooping in the vase start to wither
You leave to throw them out somewhere far away
You would always joke around to try to cheer me up
Always trying to find your bright [smile] in place of my [gloom]…
Isn’t it hard on you? Seeing me like this
It would have been fine if you were honest and said you were tired
But you never once gave me an annoyed look; [instead you] gently
Held me close and cried for me
I want to live; whenever I think that I don’t want to die, I can feel the tears begin to fall
I want to live, though I feel like I can’t do a single thing for you
It seems that I must have fallen asleep for a while
Only your scent still lingers nearby
Somehow it gave me an uneasy feeling
My anxiety started to grow
Days passed while I waited for your return; then it was delivered to me
This single note from you
Faced with the reality written in it, I was speechless
And I wailed and cried and screamed, a broken mess
[You cry and cry; stop crying and smile at me
You cry and cry; just smile for me and stay by my side forever]
I’m so sorry
I’m doing this my own way
I just wanted to do something to save you
If I die so you [can live]
Then that will be all the happiness I need…
Now you’ll always be watching over me from the inside5, won’t you?
When I close my eyes and think of you, I won’t forget your smile
From now on we’ll be watching the same scenery together and go on living
With the morning sun shining through the window and the sea breezes, we’ll sleep
Even if we don’t wake up
- This entire section is a blank area in most versions of the lyrics, but a hand-written note was included in the ZAKUROgata single version of the booklet with the text of her memo to him. (The text of the memo was printed in a box in the Dainippon version of the single.) (The header “memo” isn’t sung, it’s just here to differentiate the text of her note from the rest of the song.) Also, “しょうくんへ” (“Shou-kun he / To Shou-kun”) is written in the note included in the ZAKUROgata single booklet, but is not sung. He whispers the lines of the memo in between stanzas of the “Naite naite”/”You cry and cry” chorus above it.
- 潮風 shiokaze “sea breeze, salt air” is written, while 風 kaze “wind, breeze” is sung.
- So he doesn’t sing this line as written in Japanese (which is in the lyrics) – but he sings the English translation in its place. It sounds like “Even if they won’t wake up” to me – which corresponds to how the Japanese line could be translated given the language’s fluidity with pronouns. I added the original line as well since it’s part of the lyrics (again, not sung as written in Japanese), but kept only the translation of the original Japanese line in the translated lyrics since I changed the pronoun to match the rest of the verse.
- So this song is supposedly about a man (nicknamed Shou-kun according to the letter) who is dying from heart problems in the hospital, hence the EKG/heart monitor beeping that counts in the beginning of the song and the flatline at the end. The pomegranate is supposedly metaphorical for the heart (I’m guessing based on shape, color, and that the juice looks like blood). So you could consider this like, “Heart-related Depression” as well.
- So the memo his girlfriend sent him? Apparently, she sacrificed herself so he could be given her heart. (Committed suicide? IDK how you’d work that out so the organs could still be used, though, so maybe something with the help of the hospital? There’s a second flatline in the middle of the song right before where says he wants to live and then gets the note in the next verse, so maybe that’s hers? No specifics are given, it’s just implied, anyway.) So now she’s watching over him “from the inside” since a part of her is literally inside him keeping him alive.
MASS album cover art © 2021 HERESY Inc / Sony Music Japan