Romaji and English translation of the song CODA from the album BEAUTIFUL DEFORMITY by the GazettE.
- Lyrics originally sung in English are in italics , and words or phrases I felt were implied are in [brackets] in the translation.
- I also (usually) put repeats of chorus/verses/stanzas in [brackets] if they’re not written that way in the original lyrics for ease of singing along.
- If he writes a word in the lyrics but doesn’t sing it, I put it in light grey to make it easier to skip when singing along.
- I usually romajize katakana characters in CAPITALS, and keep punctuation and line spacing as close to the original booklet as possible. If you see me putting spaces before punctuation at the end of a sentence or writing things in mixed-case capitals, that’s because it’s how it was in the booklet.
- Any comments I had during the romajization/translation process will be included as footnotes so as not to disturb the flow of the song. They’re not required reading, but Ruki does some pretty nifty things with his lyrics/kanji choices, or sometimes there’s further explanations about words or phrases in there.
Igyou no hako wo hau itsutsu no kage
Houmuri kirenai minikui kanjou wa kemono no you
Tagai wo kurai umareta setsuri
Honshou wo kakushi itsuwari ni naru
Mugon no ame to toozakaru ondo
Odayaka na oka ni saku rinne
Omoide wa soushitsu no umi he
Tougai ni kobiritsuku hane no haeta janen
Yurikago kara koko made no ashiato wa ai wo shiranai
Honshitsu wo wasure tsukamu shiro ga tadashii no nara nani yori mo fukai kuro ni
Shikakui sora no shita zangai ga nemuru do no ue ni hana
Utsukushiki igyou mabayui yami he
Owari to hajimari
A beautiful form
Five shadows lurk in a malformed box2
Vulgar desires that can’t be kept locked away are like a wild beast3
A fate born of consuming each another5
When you hide your true nature, you become the lie [you tell]6
Warmth ebbs away in the silent rain7
An endless cycle of death and rebirth blooms atop a calm hill8
Your memories sink into a sea of loss9
Destructive thoughts that cling to my mind sprouted wings10
The footprints from the cradle to this point [leave a path] that has never known love11
If I have to forget my true self in order to seize the “white,” then give me “blackness” deeper than anything12
Beneath this patch of sky, flowers cover the soil where corpses sleep13
The beautiful deformity proceeds towards the dazzling darkness14
The end and the beginning
- A “coda” is an independent passage at the end of a musical composition (or literary/dramatic work) that brings the whole thing to a satisfactory close. This song is basically a high-level, spoken-word poetic recap of the whole BEAUTIFUL DEFORMITY album.
- The SE track, MALFORMED BOX (the five shadows = the five band members, if that’s not obvious)
- INSIDE BEAST
- UNTIL IT BURNS OUT
- DEVOURING ONE ANOTHER (Yeah, I know I could have easily put the actual title in the line…but I like trying to be different. LOL)
- LAST HEAVEN
- THE STUPID TINY INSECT
- IN BLOSSOM
- Kuroku sunda sora to zangai to katahane
- TO DAZZLING DARKNESS
BEAUTIFUL DEFORMITY album cover art © 2013 Sony Music / JPU Records
Leave a Reply