There was an extra verse added to the end when they re-recorded the original song for TRACES VOL.2. This verse has now been translated; the original version from reila simply ends after “Surely tomorrow will be the day you come home, right?” (One line was also omitted from the original lyrics; I kept it but did a
strikethrough on it.) I decided against making a separate page for the reila single version of the song since nothing else was changed in the lyrics.
- Lyrics originally sung in English are in italics , and words or phrases I felt were implied are in [brackets] in the translation.
- I also (usually) put repeats of chorus/verses/stanzas in [brackets] if they’re not written that way in the original lyrics for ease of singing along.
- If he writes a word in the lyrics but doesn’t sing it, I put it in light grey to make it easier to skip when singing along.
- I usually romajize katakana characters in CAPITALS, and keep punctuation and line spacing as close to the original booklet as possible. If you see me putting spaces before punctuation at the end of a sentence or writing things in mixed-case capitals, that’s because it’s how it was in the booklet.
- Any comments I had during the romajization/translation process will be included as footnotes so as not to disturb the flow of the song. They’re not required reading, but Ruki does some pretty nifty things with his lyrics/kanji choices, or sometimes there’s further explanations about words or phrases in there.
Deatte kara doredake onaji kizu wo oi doredake sasaeatta?
Kimi ga tsurai toki wa hoka no dare yori boku dake ni oshiete hoshikatta
Jijitsu ga me ni yakitsuku mugon de fudou no kimi wa nani wo omou
Riyuu nado iranai sa tada boku no kimi wo kaeshite kurereba
Nokosareta boku yori mu ni natta kimi wa
Dorehodo tsurai darou ka
Mada nanimo hajimatte nai no ni
Mada kimi ni kono kotoba ieteinai no ni
Kimi no mei wo yonde mite mo
this voice does not reach you…
Me wo akete uso dato waratte misete yo…
Ashita wa doko e ikou kimi ga nozomu nara
Doko e demo iku yo
Kimi wa itsumo sou boku ga omou hodo
Doko ka e itte shimau
Mata boku wo nokoshi hitori de hashitte ikunda ne
Mou todokanai mou todokanai
Yatto kimi ni aeta no ni
Gamanshite ta mono ga subete afurete
Namida ni natte koboreta
Ie nakatta kono kotoba wo
Ima koko de kimi ni utau yo
Dare yori mo kimi wo aishiteiru
Futari ga ita heya ima mo sono mama
Kagi mo kakezuni itsudemo kimi ga koreru you ni
Zutto matteru yo wakatteru1 kedo
Imademo kimi ga doa wo akeru sugata ga mierunda
Ashita wa kitto kaette kitekureru ka na
Kono koe yo kono uta yo kietei kanai de ano sora ni todokasete [todokasete]
Kono koe wa kono uta wa saiai no kimi he todokanai yume no naka kimi omoi ochiteiku
Since we met, how many times have I been hurt the same way? How many times have you been there for me?
In your moments of heartbreak, I wanted you to confide in no one else but me
That truth is burned into my eyes; in this overwhelming silence, what are you thinking?
I wouldn’t need [to know] the reason if only you’d return to me
I’ve been left behind; you’ve vanished
How long will this heartbreak last?
It hasn’t even begun yet…
I still haven’t said those words to you
So where are you?
Even as I try to call out your name
this voice does not reach you…
Open your eyes; Please smile at me and tell me it was all just a lie
If that’s the case, tomorrow we’ll go anywhere you want
So where shall we go?
You were always like that for as long as I can remember
Always taking off somewhere
Once again, you’ve run away all by yourself and left me behind
I can’t reach you anymore I can’t reach you anymore
Just when I’d finally gotten to know you
All those things I’ve kept inside me finally overflowed
And became these tears that now fall
Those words that I wasn’t able to say
Now… I’ll sing them for you in this place
I love you more than anyone else
I love you. I love you…
The room we two shared is the same now as it was back then
And I never lock the door so that you can come home at any time
Even though I know [you’re gone]… I’ll still always wait for you
Even now, it seems like I can see your silhouette as you open the door
Surely tomorrow will be the day you come home, right?
This voice this song won’t vanish as it’s sent into that distant sky
This voice this song to you, my beloved won’t reach you in your dreams [because] your desire was to fade away2
- Ruki again uses his 理解 (rikai – comprehend) / 解 (waka – understand/realize) switch. See my comment in the D.L.N translation for my thoughts on this.
- This was a little tough for me. 想い omoi can mean “wish/desire, affection, thought,” among other things. 落ちる ochiru is a verb that can mean a whole slew of things from the most common – “fall down,” to other meanings like “be missing/omitted,” “fade,” “to sink,” “to be ruined,” “to fall behind,” etc.
Basically, Reila is gone (I’ve read in the past that this song is about a suicide, but I don’t remember if it was an official interview or not) and it seems it was by choice as she was always “taking off somewhere” and “leaving [him] behind,” so I went with something that sounds like she ended her life because it’s what she wanted.
TRACES VOL.2 BALLAD BEST album cover art © 2017 Sony Music / JPU Records