Romaji and English translation of the song Ruder from the EP MADARA by the GazettE.
- Lyrics originally sung in English are in italics , and words or phrases I felt were implied are in [brackets] in the translation.
- I also (usually) put repeats of chorus/verses/stanzas in [brackets] if they’re not written that way in the original lyrics for ease of singing along.
- If he writes a word in the lyrics but doesn’t sing it, I put it in light grey to make it easier to skip when singing along.
- I usually romajize katakana characters in CAPITALS, and keep punctuation and line spacing as close to the original booklet as possible. If you see me putting spaces before punctuation at the end of a sentence or writing things in mixed-case capitals, that’s because it’s how it was in the booklet.
- Any comments I had during the romajization/translation process will be included as footnotes so as not to disturb the flow of the song. They’re not required reading, but Ruki does some pretty nifty things with his lyrics/kanji choices, or sometimes there’s further explanations about words or phrases in there.
Tengu shugi no AIDORU ga otakaku tomatte waratta
“Chu chu chu ru chu chu chu ranran”1
Kobita koe de sakenderu
BIJINESU RABU haraguro jouwaru kane ga hoshii ka? sora yaruzo
“Chu chu chu ru chu chu chu fuck“
Kyou nikujaku shoku de ikuze
Mikudashi tereba ii baka wo miru no wa omae no hou sa!
I am ruder! I am ruder! waraita kereba waraeba ii sa
I am ruder! I am ruder! onore2 no michi wo keri agaru no sa
Jishou suki no Maniacker 3 hedo ga deruze
Taido gokujou bakageta Joke MEKKI shikake no sabita tsura
“Chu chu chu ru chu chu chu ranran”
Kidzuita koro ni wa osoize
[Mikudashi tereba ii baka wo miru no wa omae no hou sa!]
[I am ruder! Baby, fuck you!]
I am ruder! I am ruder! waraita kereba shinumade warae
I am ruder! I am ruder! baka de warui ka? RUURU nante nee
I am ruder! I am ruder! itan saikou Fuck off gizensha
I am ruder! I am ruder! ore wa bousou
“JAPANIES4 RUDER” saaaaaaa!
An idol who is full of themselves sneers self-importantly
“chu chu chu ru chu chu chu ranran”1
And calls out with such a flattering voice
Black-hearted evil woman with a love for business You want money? Then here, take it!
“chu chu chu ru chu chu chu fuck“
Let’s go! It’s a little more like meat, and a little less like food5
It’s OK to look down on you You people are making fools of yourselves!
I am ruder! I am ruder! If you want to laugh go ahead and laugh
I am ruder! I am ruder! So I’ll give you a kick up this path you’re on
A Maniacker who likes self-mutilation 3 you come out vomiting
Your best behavior is like a stupid Joke like a metal-plated gadget whose surface is starting to rust
“chu chu chu ru chu chu chu ranran”
By the time you realized, it was too late
[It’s OK to look down on you You people are making fools of yourselves!]
[I am ruder! Baby, fuck you!]
I am ruder! I am ruder! If you want to laugh Laugh yourself to death
I am ruder! I am ruder! Is it tough being stupid [like you]?6 It’s like some kind of rule
I am ruder! I am ruder! The ultimate heresy Fuck off, hypocrites
I am ruder! I am ruder! I’m on the rampage
“JAPANESE RUDER” come oooooon!
- I think this is just nonsense. I can’t find anything that makes sense, other than chu can mean “kiss.” So maybe like, blowing kisses to people in that kind of haughty way people who think they’re hot stuff do? “mwah, mwah Daaaarling…”
- He uses the kanji 忌 (one of the readings for which can mean an annoyance when written as 忌忌しい / imaimaishii), but sings 己 (onore, meaning oneself or you, in a rude manner). He could be stressing how irritating he finds the type of people he’s singing about.
- There is a giant blank space printed here in the lyric booklet. He sings something else in this space, but I am not positive what, so I didn’t include it.
- This is how it’s spelled in the booklet.
- One of the meanings for 肉 (niku) is meat; another meaning can be flesh or the physical body. I had a lot of frustration with this line… The translation I gave is one possible one; another one I saw was “the weak strength of a meat diet” from a translation engine (which are…not so reliable). Either way…call me perverted, but I’m getting the feeling this might be a euphemism for, um “eating” a different kind of “meat” – since, uh, she is a “business woman” and he’s paying her and all. Of course I could be TOTALLY off-base; that’s just going off the only translation I could come up with for the line.
- This could also be translated as “Is being stupid bad?” or “Is it difficult to be an idiot?” but I thought it sounded “ruder” (HA! I’m so punny) translated more like, “Wow, is it tough being as stupid as you are?”
斑蠡～MADARA～ album cover art © 2004 PS Company
Leave a Reply