Romaji and English translation of the song 絲 (Ito) from the EP Akuyuukai and the compilation albums Dainippon itangeishateki noumiso (gyaku) kaiten zekkyou ongenshuu and TRACES VOL.2 BALLAD BEST by the GazettE.
The lyrics don’t appear to have been changed when they re-recorded the original song for TRACES VOL.2.
- Lyrics originally sung in English are in italics , and words or phrases I felt were implied are in [brackets] in the translation.
- I also (usually) put repeats of chorus/verses/stanzas in [brackets] if they’re not written that way in the original lyrics for ease of singing along.
- If he writes a word in the lyrics but doesn’t sing it, I put it in light grey to make it easier to skip when singing along.
- I usually romajize katakana characters in CAPITALS, and keep punctuation and line spacing as close to the original booklet as possible. If you see me putting spaces before punctuation at the end of a sentence or writing things in mixed-case capitals, that’s because it’s how it was in the booklet.
- Any comments I had during the romajization/translation process will be included as footnotes so as not to disturb the flow of the song. They’re not required reading, but Ruki does some pretty nifty things with his lyrics/kanji choices, or sometimes there’s further explanations about words or phrases in there.
Tsukiai hajimete kara mou sugu ichinenrai
Sore nari ni KENKA ya wakare hanashi mo shita
Isshoni ireru jikan ga dandan [dandan] sukunakunatte
Otagai no kachikan ga chigau you ni natte kita
Kimi no akarui egao wo ubatta no wa boku
Wasurekaketeta kimi he no kimochi ni
Yatto kidzukunante imasara da yo ne
Zutto hitori de naitetan da yo ne
Gomen ne sabishii omoi bakari sasete
“Rokugatsu youka, hare. Kyou wa kimi no tanjoubi
Chiisa na SHOOTOKEEKI kodomo no you yorokobu
Subete ga shiawase ni mitasarete mitasarete mitasarete ita
Nannen mo nannen mo nannen mo zutto kawaranu mama ne”
Kimi no akarui egao wo kowashita no wa boku
Dare yori mo kimi no koto wo wakatteru2 tsumori deshita
Kimi to futari de aruita hamabe ni
Ima wa ashiato hitotsu dake egaki
Are dake chikatta kokoro wa
Mienaku naru hodo tookute
Omoidasu no wa ii omoide bakari
Ima omoeba shiawase sugite
Nani mo kamo ga osoi keredo
Kimi ni deaete hontou ni yokatta
“Nakushita kimi ga ita ano natsu ni kaeritai…
Nakushita kimi ga ita ano natsu ni kaerenai… “
It had almost been a year since we started dating
But then we got in a huge fight and finally ended up breaking up
The amount of time we spent together gradually became less and less
And our values just became too different
I’m the one who stole your cheerful smile
I’d already started to forget the feelings I had for you
But by the time I noticed, it was too late
You were always crying all on your own, weren’t you?
I’m sorry I brought you nothing but feelings of loneliness
“June 8th, a clear day. Today is your birthday
The small shortcake [I got you] made you just as happy as a little kid
We were completely full full full of happiness
And I hope things stay like this
For years and years and years”
I’m the one who destroyed your cheerful smile
I really believed I could understand you better than anyone else
Now there is only one set of footprints
On the beach where you and I walked together
Our hearts were once so close
But now we’re so far apart we can’t even see each other
All I can remember is the good memories
Now that the happiness is gone
Anything [I can say] will be too late, but
I am really so glad I met you
“I want to go back to that summer
I lost you…
But I can’t return to that summer
I lost you…”
- The kanji ito (meaning “thread”) is usually 糸, but Ruki uses the more obscure 絲 (it uses the radical 糸 twice, basically). This kanji is used in compounds for words meaning different kinds of connections, so this is either Ruki’s way of indicating “many threads of fate that bind two people together,” or it’s just him being him and using something obscure because he can and it looks nice.
- Ruki again uses his 理解 (rikai – comprehend) / 解 (waka – understand/realize) switch. See my comment in the D.L.N translation for my thoughts on this..
TRACES VOL.2 BALLAD BEST album cover art © 2017 Sony Music / JPU Records
Leave a Reply