Romaji and English translation of the song バレッタ (BARETTA) from the album NIL by the GazettE.
- Lyrics originally sung in English are in italics in the translation.
- Words or phrases I felt were implied are in [brackets].
- I also (usually) put repeats of chorus/verses/stanzas in [brackets] if they’re not written that way in the original lyrics for ease of singing along.
- Any comments I had during the romajization/translation process will be included as footnotes so as not to disturb the flow of the song. They’re not required reading, but Ruki does some pretty nifty things with his lyrics/kanji choices, or sometimes there’s further explanations about words or phrases in there.
“Ame ni nureteiru himawaritachi wa futari no tsugi wo negatte
Mimamoru youni… odayakana kao de yasashiku saite kuruhi wo matsu”
Mizutamari wo nozuki kimi wo ukabe ima mo soba ni kanjiteiru yo
Surechigau naka de kimi wo shikatta te ga imademo itai
Kimi wo tsureteiku shizukesa ga miseta
Koufuku to wa yobenai soumatou wa kitto seishi no ano hi wo wasuresasenai tame
Kikoeru sono koe ni yorisoeba tada natsukashisa ni tomadotte shimau
Sukoshizutsu tokekonde omoidashi ano hi wo mata utsushite hoshii to
“Ikanaide” to negatta ano hi to onaji gogatsu owari no ame to sayonara wa
Nidome no saikai wo nurashi yurasu no
Soshite subete ga yume dato boku wo warau darou
Fureau yubisaki de kanjiau asu he no fuan wa kotoba ni naranai
Tada dakiau koto yorimo koko2 ni aru futari no jijitsu ga kienu koto wo
Hon no sukoshi datta yume no youna hibi odayaka sugita saigo no kotoba ni
“Wasurenaide” to negatta ano hi to onaji rokugetsu hajime no ameagari no sora
Nidome no wakare wo tsugeta taiyou
Soshite subete ga yume dato boku wo waratta hakanai yume dato
Kimi ga nokoshita “BARETTA” wo mitsumete kyou wo ikiru3
“The sunflowers being drenched in the rain wish for us to continue on together
It’s as if they’re watching over us… gentle faces gracefully blooming as they wait for the days to come”
As I gaze into the puddles, I can recall your face and I feel like you’re still here beside me
It still pains me [to think] of how I treated you when we were arguing
The silence that’s brought you to mind has showed me
That if I’m unable to recall the light of happiness it’s because I won’t allow myself to forget that day [when time] stood still
If I draw close to that voice I can hear I just find myself perplexed by the nostalgia I feel
I want to keep reflecting on that day but the memory is melting away little by little
“Don’t go,” I pleaded
Just like on that day, the rain and our goodbye at the end of May
Drenched and troubled our second reunion
You’re probably laughing at me, because it’s all just a dream
I can’t put into words the uncertainty I feel about our future whenever I feel our fingers touch
But more than just holding each other close, I want to keep the reality of ‘us’ here in my heart2 from disappearing
Those dreamlike days were far too few and your final words to me were far too calm
“Don’t forget me,” I pleaded
Just like on that day, the sky after the rain at the beginning of June
And the [appearance of the] sun heralded our second parting
And you laughed at me because it’s all just a dream because it was just a fleeting dream
I stare at the “BARETTE” you left behind and live for today3
- He says something here that’s not printed in the lyrics.
- In the lyrics he’s written 心 kokoro “heart,” but it sounds like he actually sings 此処 koko “here” – so I translated it with both words as “here in my heart.”
- This line is printed in the lyrics but not sung, so I put it in a different color.
- As in a hair barette or clip.